Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I'm Done




There are hundreds of people running. You can't see it but you hear it: bony limbs knocking into one another and fleshy feet slapping mud and concrete. The last things they grabbed before their world was shook like gravity gave in, are slung over their backs and stuffed underneath their arms. And they drop them. "Water! Water!" they shout in a Haitian Creole, still moving. There may be a flood. There may be relief. No one actually knows. Fleshy white faces report the news. I sit at home, drinking ginger ale and typing on my laptop.

This is fucked up. Really. I mean, my mother tells me in a tone reminiscent of an African elder to never forget how lucky I am. But watching this earthquake and what it did to a country, a country that has already been through to much...its a twisting feeling in your guts and weights on the lids of your eyes, as if they will overflow with tears at any moment.

You force yourself to watch, even though you really can't, not only because of the horror of it all, but the realization that your life just goes on as if nothing has changed. You stare at a screen, watching caved in rooftops, homes that seem to have vomited out their insides, and feet and fists under slabs of concrete. You watch people who look like you with broken limbs hanging at odd angles, swollen and bleeding faces. Bodies covered in dust and sand lined up on sidewalks either to hurt to move...or dieing. People...a country...dieing. And you can hardly do a thing as you watch from your computer chair.

This is fucked. Seriously. I feel like I can't cry loud enough - can't pray loud enough - to do anything. Suppose there is a higher form of being out there. Have we as people done so much wrong that this type of shit happens? Suppose there isn't a higher form of being. Is life just this random that history's road is covered in pitholes of desolation like an arm covered in measles? I don't know. And when I think about it it just becomes to emotional for me. 

Please...find a way to help out however you can. Write about, talk about it. Think of it as a person, not a politican.

Here's one way to help: yele.org

No comments:

Post a Comment