D.O.I's Neologisms:
One thing you will get to know about us as we continue sharing the deepest parts of ourselves with you is that despite having the same backgrounds, each of us have just a few subtle, but influential differences that make each of our styles different. For example, I enjoy all of the artists that have been mentioned so far, but as I'm sitting at my computer, I'd rather listen to some orchestrated and perfectly sequenced Pokemon remixes on Youtube, then switch over to some classic Jill Scott or Erykah Badu (whichever appears first on shuffle) and mull over my train simulator. Of course, I throw the healing process of writing in-between these things.
However, as I submitted my final college application today, the thought continued to run through my mind of what will happen to my creativity. While I'm out building your next subway system, or making sure that next (4) train arrives on time without problems, where will be my unfiltered sense to form my thoughts into lyrics that the general human being can understand? Creativity often is shoved aside because it is widely believed that it isn't always profitable. That's one of the reasons I think we have many like-minded (and garbage) songs out today. Where will be my anger to rip those headphones spewing generic lyric after degenerate lyric after misogynistic lyric out and fire shots of real and heavy-introspective thinking at the hearts of those who choose to let their courage sag as low as their pants? My hope is that it will never vanish. Although trying to get to the next level of education has forced it to disappear for a while. Unfortunate. But, I don't ever want creativity to take the back seat. It should always have one hand on the steering wheel (or I'll go back to being bananas again, and we don't want that). The artists mentioned, among others (that I promise are not expected for a black youth), are proof that somewhere, the sense to say something meaningful will return. There will be someone to listen, hopefully. By that thought, everyone should just go ahead and let their skills glisten.
In some instances, it's okay to put the homework away if your hand is aching to slide the utensil across the page in the form of. Prowess is asking you to let it be shown. Don't prohibit it. It's a healing process. It'll show itself next time too.
No comments:
Post a Comment