As if Shawn Knowles needs anymore publicity, but this is pretty interesting...
Nothing we haven't heard before. Only thing I really found interesting was him swerving down 8th Ave (or was it 6th?) and watching kids play in the city, how most people from his neighborhood never even experienced anything like that.
I can relate.
I remember leaving my neighborhood was a goddamn treat and a half. My moms would only let me go about five blocks out when I was little - I couldn't even cross the big boulevard. So a trip to Manhanttan? Fugedaboutit. I remember passing the little playgrounds by TriBeCa and thinking, damn..how would it be to grow up like this? Me and my mother and our brown skin playing beneath the sun by the lake in Central Park?
Even now. In high school, niggas would throw on their flyest shit to JUST go out to 42nd street. I mean True Religions with the cuff shoved into the tongue of some Pradas. Bubble vests. Polos with the big ass logo on the chest. Even chicks. Skinny jeans with their biggest purse. Gucci caps and lip gloss. High heels or flats. We wouldn't go to club, or eat, or catch a movie, but just to be out there. In the city,just to be somewhere that wasn't gray and brown. Somewhere with so many lights that stars didn't seem like such make believe.
Ah well, "things happen for a reason." I hate that quote but, eh...it applies.
Shouts to Absolut for giving me some crazy nights.
Monday, March 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment